Scrap the Cashless Debit Card

Scrap the Cashless Debit Card

The Government must stop punishing people on income support and scrap the Cashless Debit Card.

The Cashless Debit Card is a form of compulsory income management that quarantines 80 percent of an income support recipient’s payment to a card that leaves them with just 20 percent available in cash. For the past few years the card has been continuously ‘trialed’ in Ceduna, East Kimberly, Hinkler and the Goldfields.

Due to the card restrictions, people on the cashless card are unable to access cash economies to buy such things as second hand goods or goods from community markets. They face ...

The Government must stop punishing people on income support and scrap the Cashless Debit Card.

The Cashless Debit Card is a form of compulsory income management that quarantines 80 percent of an income support recipient’s payment to a card that leaves them with just 20 percent available in cash. For the past few years the card has been continuously ‘trialed’ in Ceduna, East Kimberly, Hinkler and the Goldfields.

Due to the card restrictions, people on the cashless card are unable to access cash economies to buy such things as second hand goods or goods from community markets. They face stigma and shame in using the card in their community and are constantly dealing with the many issues with using the card for paying for the basics like rent and groceries.

Despite there being no evidence that compulsory income management works, the Government has legislation before Parliament to roll the card out in the Northern Territory and will want to extend the so called trials yet again. 

This legislation will need to pass Parliament before the end of the year to keep the ‘trials’ going. But we can stop it. With Labor likely to oppose an extension to the trials, we now need the help of the Senate crossbench.

The Senators who now hold all the power to block this legislation are Jacquie Lambie, Stirling Griff and Rex Patrick.

 

 

+
image of Scrap the Cashless Debit Card

Email the Senate Crossbench

Email the Senate Crossbench, urging them to vote against the Government's legislation to make the Cashless Debit Card pemanent. 

Where do you live?

Compose your email

Email Tips +

Feel free to write your own email copy and change up the subject line - the more personalised you can make your email, the more persuasive it is!